2006-112 Meeting Minutes
Return to Meetings
April 11, 2006
PDF/UA Working Group Meeting Minutes
Duff Johnson called the meeting to order at 3:06 pm EST.
Roll Call - Attendees
Angy Brooks AB - Technical Editor - Independent Accessibility Consultant
Joe Clark JC - Independent Accessibility Consultant
Mark Gavin MG - Appligent
Loretta Guarino-Reid LGR - Adobe Systems
Duff Johnson DJ - Chair - Document Solutions
Greg Pisocky GP - Adobe Systems
Neil Soiffer NS - Design Science
Action Items indicated with an AI:
Approval of Agenda PDF/UA 2006-111, April 11, 2006 2006-111 Agenda
Soiffer / Johnson
Report on / update and discuss Action Items
Action Items set up on a per meeting basis. Change status on a per meeting basis. Angy suggests take incomplete items from previous meetings and add them to action item list. So all items get copied to new table. History can thus be maintained.
Bring Forward and Update the AI List: Angy Brooks
- Review of Open Action Items March 14
- All to update contact page with the appropriate information.
- Heading Document completed by Angy
- Draft MathML session - in progress
- Convince others to contribute - incomplete, move forward
- Menu and new template.
Menu: We must share the same menu with other AIIM working groups. This impacts what any group has the freedom to do. Some members willing to contribute to the financial support of our own Wiki space. Only 2 ways to enable site to go public: entire site or page by page. Duff Johnson will report on result with AIIM regarding this issue. Ideally the group could obtain its own URL.
Template: Angy has created a new template for PDF/UA that has a bread crumb trail. Current status has placeholder code established. Angy has updated the "How to Author the Wiki" page.
- Neil Soiffer was emailed when template was ready.
- Technical requirements reordered to correlate with PDF 1.6 Specification. Old working draft items need to be placed in new working draft outline / table of contents. Angy to make transfer of content to the new structure her top priority. Numbering is 1 -8 though corresponds to PDF Spec Numbers Chapters 3 -10.
- Syntax page needs to begin
- Java page has begun
- Interactive forms content has begun
- Reorder items and make entries to be carried forward
- Old content into new template
- Keyboard carried forward
- Entries were made into navigation page a good example has been set
- Fonts carried forward
- Actions carried forward
- Non-linguistic notation: Encryption section appears to be misplaced. AB will move to an appropriate location. Issue concerning multiple languages has to be resolved. Could be in defiance of ISO spec in progress. Type samples example of non linguistic - no language to declare. Another example, all markup or all tags illustrate this point as well.
- MathML - carried forward
- Meta Data - work has begun
- Other members to begin contributing to working draft. New contributions from a new contributor an indication of partial success. PDF/UA doing more on the Wiki than other working groups.
Select a topic from recent additions to the Wiki and discuss
DJ: Also amenable to other ideas regarding structural and procedural issues. Feelings about the Wiki appear to be positive. Is there further discussion regarding .
GP: I need some help in order to complete the section of fonts. I see two use cases, embedding and referencing. What do we do.
Fonts, basic mechanism to achieving accessibility is to have a reliable method for finding out what
All conforming readers shall use the embedded fonts, rather than locally substituted. .. (see language from PDF/A).
Avoid those things that drop character encodings (Illustrator to outlines). Restriction: Avoid incorrect unicode mapping. Every character must have a ToUnicode reference and the reference is providing the proper answer. Don't be cute and use non-alphabetic fonts to represent alphabetic characters.
AI: JC email to Netherlands contacts.
MG: For scope, extrapolated items from PDF/A and placed the corresponding item in the appropriate section of PDF/UA
AB: Please avoid editing working draft. I will now take those restrictions off now that reorganization is complete. Notation on PDF/UA working draft will be removed, we are not restricting edits.
DJ: Mark can now feel free to update the scope page and edit comments etc...
MG: Is there a tentative ISO number for this?
DJ: Not yet, just leave place holders and we can fill in later.
DJ: Would anyone like to talk about meta data under 8.2 of the draft spec. Text was extracted from the PDF Reference itself. Here is what I would like reaction to, 1) PDF XMP rather than document information fields. PDF documents shall include a document title as indicated in the document contents. I am inclined to state that a PDF document that does not have PDF title meta data to be inaccessible. Priority checkpoints indicated by wording, shall, must, etc. Is it appropriate to make any reference to character encoding regarding meta-data?
MG: The issue is dealt with by specifying XMP.
JC: A sticky use case. There are languages that do not currently have Unicode representations. There are real world cases that can be primae facie non-compliant. Legacy encodings
DJ: So what do we want to say? PDF documents without ToUnicode (back to fonts) mapping
NS: Private space? Do we prevent that?
JC: Private use area can be used according to the Unicode spec.
NS: Shall use unicode encodings and all shall be in the public portion of the spec.
JC: We need a clarification from the Unicode people. Private use areas and unencoded scripts.
DJ: PDF meta data streams are permitted. Content objects in PDF can have their own meta-data. Such meta-data is referred to as streams.
MG: Streams are just one of the base types of objects in PDF.
NS: Should we distinguish between the two types of meta-data (Document level and content level)
DJ: Both content level meta data and document level meta data are permitted. Does the content level meta data have any bearing on the accessibility of the document?
LGR: Aren't we proceeding under the assumption that everything is permitted unless we say it is not permitted? It strikes me that it is not necessary since the meta data is in XML and XML indicates how the the data is encoded.
MG: There's no need for the line.
LGR: In the case of title, we may want to specify one in the meta data even if there is no title page in the document.
JC: Any Dublin Core can just fit right in.
DJ: In the space of the last 45 minutes we had substantive discussion and made edits to contributions people have made. We should take some pride in the progress and the process.
MG: And another key, done collaboratively in real time, not in person.
Discuss next steps for the Wiki, including public access
DJ: What feelings do people have about whether and how to take this public? I am in favor of taking this public sooner rather than later since taking it public will get more people involved.
Is there enough content to show the world. Currently there are only 6 web pages. A list of 100 topic areas but only 5 are complete. Who has time for that?
JC: Specialists can be recruited to do individual kinds of tasks. So let's identify some of these specialists and recruit them to assist in some of these tasks.
AI: JC to try to find such contributors.
There are also items that have no bearing on accessibility which we can target for deletion, reducing the size of the thing.
AB: Why can't we indicate candidates for deletion by placing the word delete next to items that should go and later we take a vote.
NS: Could we streamline the process for some of the guest contributors we will be inviting to contribute.
AI: Duff Johnson has volunteered to make those starter pages.
DJ: Some likely subjects?
Patterns, Forms, Pop Notes all fall under the big subcategory of interactivity.
Create and assign Action Items specific to the conclusions developed
AI: DJ to write the annual report
Wrap up and schedule next meeting
May 3, 2006 3:00 to 5:00 pm EST
Face to face to occur Wed - Thur. May 17 - 18, 2006 at AIIM Conference in Philadelphia
Johnson / Soiffer